Sunday, March 04, 2018

Enid

I don't really know how I wandered across this movie, but on itunes I looked at the trailer and thought it might be an interesting watch.  It is the story about Enid Blyton, author of Noddy and the Famous Five which was my favorite as a child.  It is an older movie, made for tv starring Helena Bonham Carter as the author.

I have to say that I found it somewhat boring and even nodded off on the couch half way through.  She came across as a snobbish horrible woman, who was not very nice to her husband and her children.  She seemed manipulative  and conniving, and generally unlikable and I wish in some ways that I hadn't ruin the illusion of who I thought she might have been.  I had visions of her writing in some chocolate box cottage on the coast surrounded by happy children and puppies.  2/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

Snap ! I watched this a week ago in 9 parts on utube. I agree it is an awful portrayal by Helena B-C so I watched a couple of interviews of Enid and her voice was soft and pleasant. Not like cut glass as in the film. I also have started a biography by Barbara Stoney and have had a quick peak through before I read it. Enid was popular with friends and children. One of her children loved her and the other didn’t. Her last years in her 60s she suffered dementia and lived in a world of her story characters. She died at 71. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and feel that film seemed quite cruel.

John Bellen said...

Sometimes it's best to let authors live through their characters.