Wednesday, February 21, 2018

It's Not Yet Dark - Simon Fitzmaurice

This is a small quick read of a memoir, but it is packed full of insight into what really matters in life.  In 2008, filmmaker Simon Fitzmaurice is diagnosed with motor neuron disease, and in this book he describes the progress of this devastating that robs patients of their movements and then their abilities to swallow and finally breath.  There are still beautiful moments in his life, his lovely wife and wonderful children still bring wonder and joy.

It is books like this that serve to remind me to be grateful for the simple things, to be able to walk around, to be independent, to enjoy good food and to be able to reach out and hug your loved ones. 4/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

I think we all need to read this to remind us how lucky we are. No matter how bad things seem there are others so much worse off and yet fighting for their lives. I think of Stephen Hawking and what a marvellous example of a human being he is. I read one of his books on the universe and while my little brain could only understand small portions of it I hoped by osmosis I would take in more.

John Bellen said...

What a terrible disease it sounds. The conditions Victorians would have called 'wasting diseases' are among the most evil, I think.