Saturday, January 13, 2018

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Captain Fantastic

This was a little gem of a movie.  It could have gone either way, either it was going to be watchable or it was going to be too over the top weird that it wouldn't work, but I found it kind of sweet.  Viggo Mortensen plays Ben  a father raising his six kids in the forests of North West America.  Killing wild animals for meet, and being educated by his series of anti establishment books he raises the kids to mistrust the majority of capitalist America.  Then they find out that their mother has died and the family must venture out of their forest home to attend her funeral.

I like the way this movie was handled - not trying too hard to be too oddball and zany, I liked that it was a family that seemed to love and understand each other.  The funeral scene at the end may be the oddest that I have seen for some time. 4/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

I am so impressed at how varied your interests are. I have started watching the chaser at 5 on 1 and I think you would be so good at general knowledge.

John Bellen said...

I'd forgotten about this film, and your review makes me want to see it. I will try to download it. Definitely, you don't want something too sweet or unrealistic, and films in which the writers try for 'quirky' characters just to have them are to be avoided.