Friday, November 03, 2017

The Last Hours - Minette Walters

I felt like this was a book of two halves.  The first one is about how the Black Death comes to a small manor and how the quick thinking of the lady of the house saves the local families from becoming infected.  This I liked, although I felt like I wanted more boils and suffering, and I guess you can understand in a time before tv/radio/news/internet how did small villages/towns/cities understand what was happening to them?  The second part of the novel for me seemed a bit messy and was just leading into the next book.  There does have to be a next novel, as the spoilt daughter needs to be taught a lesson that you sense is coming.

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

A number of years ago I read all available books by this author. I had been really ill and they were just what took me out of myself. If I remember correctly the first was the dark room. That was the best. At least for me at that time. I didn't realise she was still writing and will get this out of the library.

John Bellen said...

It sounds as if the author had enough story for half a book...