Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Madwoman Upstairs - Catherine Lowell

Sadly, I seemed to only end up being annoyed at this novel.  I kept waiting for the magic to arrive, but instead I took a dislike to the main character, Samantha Whipple the last surviving member of the Bronte family.  Off to college at Oxford, she finds herself trapped in a dark and damp tower and having to defend all that she knows about literature to her handsome older tutor.

I was waiting for some Bronte secret to be unearthed or for the snarky Samantha to turn into a nicer character, instead I was annoyed with her from the beginning to the end.  She seemed a bit frozen into a immature  girl by her overbearing but dead father, home schooled by mainly reading Bronte novels which she seemed to hate

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like it was meant as a semi-parody of the Bronte novels. Unfortunately, the author may have forgotten that the Brontes' principal characters were mostly sympathetic people.