Sunday, October 22, 2017

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Cafe Society

After an afternoon out with a bestie yesterday, I have no shame in being home by 7pm before it has got dark and cold.  A light supper and then time to relax with a movie before heading to bed suits me.  Cafe Society was a 99c special on Apple Itunes, and as I hadn't seen it at the cinema during its long run, I was glad to see it.

Set in the early 1930s in Hollywood,Bobby  a young New Yorker comes to seek out his successful uncle who has made a career as a talent agent.  His uncle sends him out with his assistant Ronnie, who he falls in love with, but she has a boyfriend.  So begins the love triangle that is the heart of the story.

While visually nice to look at it still felt like a series of overdone sets, and expensive designer outfits that seemed out of place.  For me there was something missing in this Woody Allen story, a lack of humor or charm maybe, but I didn't click with the whole thing and was quite bored.  2/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I find that Allen is becoming more interested in setting than story and character. Perhaps that was the problem here.