Saturday, October 21, 2017

Maudie

It was a cloudy Saturday in the capital city and the clouds were looming.   A friend and I met to wander just a couple of shops before settling for a couple of calorific treats, well deserved after a long working week.  This had been one of the movies that I had been intending to see at the film festival several months ago, but due to sessions at odd times I had missed it.  We got our favorite icecreams at the counter and had a secret snigger as we were the youngest in the cinema by a few years (we are edging close to 50 ourselves).

I didn't know much going in, except that Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke were in it.  What a special little movie this one is.  It is based on a real life Canadian painter, Maude Lewis and the story about her life and love with her husband.    I won't spoil it with the whole plot - have a nosy at the trailer if you are interested.

We did leave with smiles, even though there was some sadness, and an appreciation for our indoor plumbing, big couches and warm beds.  Also if we win lotto tonight we are going to go and rent a cottage for a month in Nova Scotia - just not in the winter time.  Also maybe I will dream of a husband who can push me round on a little wagon!! 4.5/5




2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

That sounds a really lovely film. I will mark it as one to get on DVD. Sounds like a lot of calories when you mention ice cream. Was it the first for this summer? My favourite is passion fruit.😋

John Bellen said...

NOva Scotia is a beautiful province, though it has numerous distinct districts. I was born in the Annapolis Valley. I've not heard of this movie. I'll have to take a peek.