Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Easter Movies Film Festival

 Our weather was a bit cloudy and cool, so it was nice to catch up on the movies and shows crowding my DVR.  I quite enjoyed The Longest Ride, a romantic movie adapted from a Nicolas Sparks novel.  Scott Eastwood is nice to look at even if I am not a rodeo fan. 4/5
 American Sniper has been on my go to list to watch for some time so I was glad I got to sit down and watch it.  I did come away feeling a bit meh about it, a bit too much for me, too many guns and violence. 2/5
 Won't Back Down was one on the TV at 1am that I recorded and knew nothing about.  Maggie Gyllenhaal is a young single mother that is trying to get help for her young dyslexic daughter but keeps encountering obstacles at her local school.  She finds help from one of the teachers, played by Viola Davis and both woman try to motivate other teachers and make the school a positive learning environment to help all the kids.  4/5
I didn't know anything about this one either but once I saw Nicholas Cage and John Cusack I was interested.  Set in Anchorage Alaska, a young woman manages to escape from a man who has kidnapped and assaulted her.  As she helps police with the case it soon becomes clear that she was not the only victim. A bit gritty and grim it made me sad to think of all the young women killed by this serial killer, and how they must have suffered in their last days.  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Quite a range of films there. I have no desire to see "American Sniper"; the U.S. seems to glorify killing rather a great deal. And the Cage/Cusack movie may be good but I'm done with serial killers; they've been done to death, pardon the pun. I prefer 'small' mysteries, less grim, something along the lines of Sherlock Holmes (the original) or Agatha Christie's detectives.