Wednesday, January 18, 2017

You Will not Have My Hate - Antoine Leiris

This is a small book , a quick but powerful read that I have been thinking about since I read it.  The author is at home with his 17 month old son when he hears about the terror attacks at the Bataclan theatre in Paris, where his wife is attending a concert.

He initially posted a note to the terroristsupermarket, addressing the fact that although they killed his wife, they would not win.  They would not have his hate, and this then went viral and he sat down to write this book.  It is a love letter to his wife and their little boy and bought tears to my eyes.   I was especially touched when he was talking about blaming the men who killed his wife " Death awaited his mother that night; they were merely ambassadors ."

Such a sad story but told with such grace and restraint. 5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I am glad that the author wouldn't let hatred take him over. Unfortunately, I think that murderers such as those who killed his wife don't care about the reactions of their victims' friends and relatives. They kill merely to kill, and that's what makes them so monstrous.