Monday, November 07, 2016

The Light Between Oceans

I loved the book this movie is based on, it was one that bought tears to my eyes and I was sad when the story ended, so I was excited that they were going to turn it into a movie and even more so when some of it was to be filmed in New Zealand.  So today was the perfect day to head to the cinema as it was my day off work, raining and dreary.

So the movie was perfect middle aged lady viewing, set in the 1920s it tells the story of Tom Sherborne a World War I veteran, who seeks the peaceful life on a remote Australian lighthouse.  He falls in love and marries a young local girl Isabel and it is their love that is the core of this story.  I won't say anymore, for I don't want to give away the rest of the story, but I did really enjoy all the elements of this story, the scenery, the characters - the looks and glances and touches that were all subtle and so well done.  The muted palettes of the decor and costumes and the vistas of waves and cloudy skies made it all sing.  I also must admit to have a couple of tears at the end of the movie, which doesn't happen too often.  So for me - a solid 5/5.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like a hit. I think this is doing well with other movie-goers, too.