Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Wonder - Emma Donoghue

Emma Donoghue is the author of Room, which was a clever novel made into a fine film.  She has returned with The Wonder, a story about Lib an English nurse who has trained under Florence Nightengale.  Sent to rural Ireland, she is to tend to and observe Anna, an eleven year old Catholic girl who has not eaten for 4 months, and is one of the fasting girls, a phenomenon of the time.

The author is talented, I felt drawn into that dark smelly cottage and could picture the bustling round of mother and maid, but somehow I felt like I was waiting for something more to happen.  Although more was revealed at the end of the novel I felt like I was missing so much more of a story. 3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

An anti-climactic climax is indeed a disappointment in a book.