Saturday, December 27, 2014

Leaving Time - Jodi Picoult

Oh my gosh, it has taken me a while to get another book read.  It has been a busy time of year, and working hard, I have found little time to just sit down and relax.  But luckily with some time off coming up I can tackle the book mountain beside my bed.

Ok there are a lot of mixed reviews about this book, and after finishing it I can see why.  Jodi Picoult is a great writer, I love her ability to immerse me in the story straight away and feel like I am wrapped up in it.  In this story, we meet Jenna, who is looking to find her mother after an accident ten years earlier when she was a toddler.  Her mother Alice, spent her career doing research on the wild elephants in Africa, til a chance encounter and a love affair bring her back to the US.  There life turns out to be more complicated than she thought, and we get to follow Jenna as she learns more about her mother by reading old diaries and enlisting the help of a detective and a psychic.

For me, I enjoyed the elephant info and it helped tell the story of the love between a mother and her child, but I did get a bit distracted by some elements of the story.  At least for me, I was happy to read a Jodi Picoult story that stayed away from the courthouse.  3/5

1 comment:

Angel Simba said...

I have recently finished reading Leaving Time as well. I thought it was one of her best books. I liked the way she did alternating chapters by different voices and I found the elephant information very interesting.

Simba's Mom