Thursday, November 27, 2014

Still Life With Bread Crumbs - Anna Quindlen

Rebecca Winter is making some changes in her life.  As a semi famous photographer, divorced with an adult son, she is jittery about the future and what it holds for her.  Her finances are troubling her, with an expensive apartment in New York, bills from the nursing home her mother is at and payments for her father she can see the money slipping away.

So she takes a chance, and rents a small rundown cottage in a country town, while tenants live in her apartment.  Of course there is the new people to contend with, the man who comes to fix the roof, the woman at the coffee shop and the clown.  All normalish - which is good, because I do get annoyed when the oddball group turns up in a novel, ruining it for me.

I did enjoy this novel, as getting middle aged myself I can relate to her stress and money worries. I liked its gentle pace and Anna Quindlen is a great storyteller weaving tales from the characters present and past together so well.  4/5

No comments: