Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

This is the story of Nella Oortman, who after her fathers death is married to an older merchant from Amsterdam, after meeting him once.  Sent to live in his house, she finds it strange and isolating with his sister and servants whispering in corridors and behind closed doors.  In 17th-century Amsterdam, Nella finds herself without many freedoms, but after receiving the gift of a miniature version of their home she begins to feel change begin to happen around her.

I really enjoyed this little book, for me the right amount of balance of historical fiction with a touch of magic and realistic characters that I can picture in a movie.  Surely there will be a movie?  I couldn't wait to finish my lunch, so that I could read for ten minutes before going back for lunch, or diving into bed on a cold night, to stay warm and read.  5/5

No comments: