Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Dallas Buyers Club

With the promise of a cyclone arriving over the weekend, it felt ok to head off for a quick bite to eat and then a movie.  Somehow the cinemas have all conspired to put their movies on at 2.30 and 8.30 pm.  I am such an oldie now that me and a bestie are happy to head to a 6pm session in order to be home by 8.30 pm.  The two on offer were Dallas Buyers Club and the Monument Men, so I let the bestie choose what suited.

I wasn't sure what to expect, I had soon all the Matthew McConaughey articles about how skinny he got for this role, and sometimes it was pretty brutal to look at.  I guess you know the story, but if you don't it is about a Dallas electrician, who after a bit of rough living, ends up in the mid 80's being diagnosed with AIDs.  After being refused AZT which is only available on trial at the time, he heads to Mexico to try and find an alternative.  This alternative, seems to have better results, and so he illegally brings it back to Dallas and offers it to other patients.

It is a pretty warts and all movie, and is definitely one for the adults.  An interesting story though, but I didn't walk away touched by it.  I just kept thinking that Matthew must have been pretty keen for a sandwich once filming was over.  3/5

No comments: