Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug

Now  I did say I wouldn't go and see this one, but I amended my idea to only going if one of my friends wanted to go and see it.  I did enjoy the Lord of the Rings, but the first Hobbit movie didn't really move me.  The way it was filmed just reminded me of 1970's budget dramas on the television and it felt a bit over done.  I never got into reading The Hobbit either, I tried to read it about five times over the years and it was not for me.

This movie The Hobbit :  The Desolation of Smaug was a bit more of the same.  I bit overindulged CGI  action scenes that lasted for 20 minutes.   I was a bit over the Spider fights and Orc chasing and wish more attention had been paid to the characters and their story, the story just seemed to be their to hold fight scene after fight scene together.  Nothing seemed to have been done to make any of the characters likeable or vulnerable, they all seemed a bit wooden and all the CGI green screen action just seemed false to me.

I get that as a non lover of the stories I am not the target audience, but I did want to like it.  I'd give it a 2/5,  it was better than being bored at home on a rainy afternoon.  The noodles I had afterwards were tasty.

No comments: