Thursday, November 01, 2012

The Ruins of Lace - Iris Anthony

The Ruins of Lace - Iris Anthony (2012)

There are so many things about this historical novel that I loved - the time period, an original set of stories, the cover of the book,  the story about the history of lace, how shocking that girls at six were taken in and trained to make lace, then thrown to the street and abandoned once their eyesight fails.  Imagine living a life where you are punished for talking, for having friends?

Imagine losing your house because you ruin a lace cuff?  Being punished for carrying lace  and using dogs to smuggle lace across borders between countries, all awesome stories.

I did have some difficulty though with all the different narrators and would have found it easier following two or three stories. In the end I had to admit to being a bit confused about the ending, even though I knew it was meant to be tying all of the stories together.  I wanted to know more about the girl thrown to the streets, the baby who was meant to be a girl and other characters.   For that I have to give it a 3/5.

No comments: