Sunday, October 07, 2012

Clara and Mr. Tiffany - Susan Vreeland

Clara and Mr. Tiffany - Susan Vreeland (2011)

After the discovery of some long lost letters in 2005, it was found that the designer of most of the famous Tiffany Lamps was a Clara Driscoll, who was the head of the womans department.  This novel is about her work at Tiffany and her relationships in her time off.

I found this one a gentle story, that the pictures in my head of pretty lamps kept me reading, and it was a pleasure to look at the many beautiful lamps online after reading this book.  The turn of the last century was such an interesting time, with more women in the workplace and vast social change.  Imagine if you told women  nowthat they were unable to keep their jobs once married, what an uproar there would be.

I do like a book that makes me look at the world a bit differently and one in which I learn something.  3/5


No comments: