Thursday, March 08, 2012

11.22.63 - Stephen King

11.22.63 - Stephen King (2012)

It has probably been a good decade and a half since I picked up a Stephen King novel.  I'm not a big fan of the brick book either, as I hate wading through long drawn out stories with page after page describing the landscapes or boring conversations.  But, I left my prejudices at the door and decided to embark on this new book after reading a few reviews.

Jake is an ordinary high school teacher who gets the opportunity to travel back in time to 1958.  Based with knowledge given to him by a friend who discovered the portal to the past, and research from the current time, he becomes focused on stopping Lee Harvey Oswald killing President Kennedy.

On the way he meets a wide variety of characters, and in this brick of a story, sometimes there is too much time spent on some of them.  I found some areas of the book drawn out and too many pages spent describing  people and places, and then other areas rushed over.  Sooo many pages to read to get to the end, and then the last chapters that deliver the real punch of the story are short and quick.

Still I did rush to pick up my Kindle and keep reading and I did feel sucked into the story.  For that it is worth a 4/5.

No comments: