Friday, December 16, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children -

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs (2011)

I finished this one this morning, blow drying my hair, which was good as it was due back at the library today.  I am sure I am an old fashioned blogger, borrowing my stash from the local library.  Unfortunately I have neither the space nor funds to be able to buy books, but I enjoy being able to borrow so many new books for minimal cost.

I almost gave up on it earlier in the week when I started it, as it wasn't really my cup of tea.  16 year old Jacob is having trouble with his family and then witnesses the tragic death of his grandfather.  Throughout his life his grandfather had told him the stories of lots of unusual children and shown him lots of odd photographs.

So after the death, Jakob and his father travel to rural Wales  for  a spot of birdwatching and Jakob looks up the children's home where his grandfather was raised.  Here he meets the peculiar children and learns about his grandfathers stories.

For me it was just ok, it seemed to miss having a real magic moment.  3/5

No comments: