Friday, December 30, 2011

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh (2011)

So imbetween the days of working, it has meant to be a read-a-thon for me, and now the weather has packed up, curling up with a book is a good way to spend the afternoon. 

The Language of Flowers is the story of Victoria Jones.  Bought up as a ward of the state she finds herself at 10 years old being placed with Elizabeth, who lives on a vineyard and  teaches the damaged Victoria the beauty of flowers and the Victorian meaning of their use. 

Alternated between the stories of her growing up, we get to meet the older Victoria who at 18, is released into the community to find her own way.  I think this is the story I most struggled with, as I found the character a bit Woe is Me, who wanted to continue playing a victim and her reconnection with people in her past for me felt a bit too convenient.  It did make me want to give up work and find a florist, who could afford to give me hundreds of dollars every week.  I never quite believed in Victoria, and found her a bit cold and distant, and wondered why all these other characters were drawn to her.

Still, it was a nicely told story and the idea was good.  We all like a bit of Jane Eyre, an unloved girl who finds love.

No comments: