Monday, November 28, 2011

The Dovekeepers - Alice Hoffman
















The Dovekeepers - Alice Hoffman (2011)

This is one of the few books that I have read recently that I haven't wanted to end, and could have carried on reading more chapters.  Four women, all of whom arrive in the Jewish stronghold of Masada by different means.  There they are set to work in the dovecoates, one of the lowliest jobs, and it is there that we learn the stories of how they arrived there with their families.  We are also with them when the Roman armies arrive, thousands strong with thousands of Jews who have been enslaved by them.  Realising their fate, choices must be made.

So hard to describe, but I loved every bit of this book, and am happy to give it a 5/5.  I am sure that it won't be to everybodies taste, but I can be sure that with only a month left in this year, that it will be my favorite book of 2011.

2 comments:

KWiley said...

What an interesting book. I actually heard a great interview a few weeks back on a radio show called The Book Report. Host Elaine Charles always keeps the show interesting. Ive been hooked since the show with the Alice Hoffman interview. You should check out more at www.bookreportradio.com

DaraR said...

Yeah this book is really great. Kwiley.. took your advice and went to the book report website. She did a great job with the Alice Hoffman interview for sure. Will keep an eye on other authors she interviews. For anyone who is interested heres the direct link I found.
http://bookreportradio.com/media/The%20BookReport%20Show%2056%2059-43.mp3