Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Brave Girl Eating - Harriet Brown

















Brave Girl Eating - Harriet Brown (2010)

Harriet Browns daughter is 14 when she begins to stop eating, and gets her family sucked into the vortex of the world that is anorexia.  Not only affecting Kitty, Harriet and the whole family begin to feel that they are suffering.  Trying with the help of doctors and therapists, they try to encourage Kitty to eat and return to her normal self.

I enjoyed this book, as I have seen others go through similar problems with eating disorders and even though better now, they continue to live with the urge to not eat.  At 15, I discovered that eating an apple, a couple of cruskit crackers and a cup of packet soup made my small size denim skirt spin around my hips.  It didn't last long for me, and size 10 is now a distant dream, but that sense of control was overwhelming. 

So an interesting insight into what a family goes through to help out their child in a time of trouble - 4/5.

No comments: