Monday, July 04, 2011

The Africka Reich - Guy Saville

















The Afrika Reich - Guy Saville (2011)

I do like the occasional war novel, and I must admit that being a middle aged woman that I am not probably the authors targeted audience for this one.  It seems to me that it is made to be an extended screen play, with our battle worn protaginist sitting in his farm in 1952.  The Germans have won  the war and extended out through Europe and are now the rulers over most of Africa.  A knock on the door and the promise of one last mission, to murder the Nazi who drove away his mother,  entices our hero away from his girlfriend with a worrying past into an Africa where everything is sitting ready to be blown up.

Then we travel through the African continent followed by train, plane, car,hellicopter, jeep, building and tunnel explosions and fireworks chased by teams of Nazis.  I almost gave up after page 100, but somehow stuck with it til page 300, then I skim read til the end.  There is only so many torture scenes you want to read about.

So for me, I had to admit defeat and give it a 1/5.  Back to the chick lit I guess.

1 comment:

Guy Saville said...

Hi Poppy

Google alerts sent me to your blog.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy my book. However, as you point out yourself, you're not really the target audience!

Sorry that you found all the violence etc too much. It was never my intention to upset or disturb readers - but I did want to capture the horror of a potential Nazi regime in Africa.

Thanks for giving it a try though and taking the time to write a review.

With best wishes

Guy