Monday, July 25, 2011

The 100 Thing Challenge - Dave Bruno

















The 100 Thing Challenge - Dave Bruno (2010)

After last year, with moving and trying to pack and unpack ten years worth of stuff, I have been determined to downsize somewhat and to not collect more stuff.  I have been trying not to buy any books, although I have managed to get a couple, and when I saw this one at Borders, I decided to cave in and buy this one and two others in their third off sale.

So Dave decides to downsize and live with only 100 processions for a year.  He then spends a year getting rid of his superfluous stuff, and although he only lives with a 100 things, he does share a house with his wife and children, so things like furniture, kitchen stuff don't count.  However we can all understand his need to simplify, and the peace it can bring.  I somehow think that being a man is somewhat easier, with just living with 10 tshirts and a couple of pairs of jeans would be fine for most blokes I know.  I am sure my brother has only 20 items of clothing and would be fine with his computer, car and phone.

However it was an interesting read.  I think we have come through a cycle of ostentatious wealthy waste and consumerism that has been pushed on us by TV and magazines.  The over the top celebrity lifestyle of huge closets and hundreds of pairs of shoes is now shunned by so many people. Blogland is filled with honest people who live thrifty and shop second hand and grow their own vegetables and the time is right for such a book. 

I did find that more time was spent talking about the set up for the challenge and justifying it, then the year he spent with his 100 things.  Still we could all down and looking at our stuff and challenging ourselves to whittle down and really treasure the things we love.  4/5

No comments: