Monday, June 13, 2011

Good Hair

















Good Hair - DVD (2010)

With Chris Rock keeping his swear words in check, we get to see him exploring various aspects about the hair industry around African American womens hair.  It is a bijillion dollar industry, and even though I have seen reviews on Oprah and other talkshows, if you skipped all the silliness about the big hair shows it did bring up some thought provoking topics.

The use of horribly toxic relaxers, and an industry that is encouraging children to use such horrid stuff on their hair and is being marketed directly at youngsters.  Big dollars are also being spent on weaves and the use of Indian hair, which is taken off worshipers at temples and sold for huge profit in the US.  I guess for me the use of someone elses hair to boost your own seems so creepy.

Told in an entertaining way, it is at least an opener into having discussions about this little secret society of big spenders.  In my own way I have my own little hair secrets.  My own hair cut and colour is pricey and  I have coloured this mop since I was 15, and one day will have to let my own greys grow in.

4/5

No comments: