Monday, February 14, 2011

Holiday Reading - A Mixed Bag


Port Mortuary - Patricia Cornwell (2010)

Awwww I am sure I have already sworn to not read any more James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell, and I should have stuck to my guns. I invested a good 200 pages of waffle from this once good and reliable author, but had to toss it to the floor in frustration. I was lured in by her description of using CT scanning for forensic cases on the blurb, but really that only seemed to span two or so pages, and the rest was her now usual mish mash of relationship/niece/work colleague issues that was hard to follow. The cases weren't compelling, and the thrill has gone.

0/5


Incontinent on the Continent - Jane Christmas (2009)

I took this one away with me on the weekend, when we did a best friends tour up to see Sting in concert. He was awesome, but I found the book grating. I mean if you are going to go on holiday with your elderly mother who uses a walker, expect to be slowed down.

It could be that after the loss of my own mother I have limited tolerance for women who spend their whole time complaining about their bad relationships. So after twenty pages, I had to let it go.

I think as well, because it has been a busy couple of months I have had only had patience for books that I have enjoyed, and any that require too much work have been left to the side.

0/5


High on Arrival - Mackenzie Phillips (2009)

I can remember when One Day at a Time first aired in NZ, and the almost scandalous hoopla that surrounded having a show about a working single mother seemed to raise in 70's society, where as no one would blink an eye now.

Mackenzie Phillips, played Julie, the rebellious older sister whose onscreen antics are so tame and mild when you read this autobiography. Raised off and on by her mother, and then her drug addicted rocks star father, she runs wild with her brother, brewing her own addictions beginning in her early teens. It is a wonder that she kept her job as long as she did, and that she managed to grow up at all.

I did enjoy this book, and it was one of the few that I read all the way through on my summer vacation.

4/5



Oogy - Larry Levin (2010)

Truly, this book is a love story, between Oogy and the Levin family that took him in and love him. After suffering horrific injuries after being used as a bait dog for dog fights, Oogy is spotted at the vets by the family, where they are taking their last visit with their cat.

Needing some love, Mr Oogy instantly fitted in with the Levins, especially with their twin sons. The depth of the love between them all is great and it is a great story for Valentines Day, that wonderful unconditional love of a pet that heals your heart.


3/5

No comments: