Sunday, December 19, 2010

Unbearable Lightness - Portia De Rossi


Unbearable Lightness - Portia De Rossi (2010)

I have only just been able to get the channel on my tv that broadcasts the Ellen show, so I have only seen about 8 episodes this year. Recently she interviewed her wife Portia, about the book she wrote, and has been hawking it ever since. I steered clear of any reviews, and reserved it, and only waited a week for it to arrive.

Portia started modeling in Melbourne, at age 12 and since then has constantly worried about her figure, always controlling her food intake and becoming obsessive about it. It all reached a head when she got her part on Ally McBeal and her weight dropped to 85 pounds. Forced to deal with both her anorexia and her sexuality makes it any interesting read. I was pleasantly surprised that it was as open as it was, and that she writes very well.

I timed the read at only about 2 and a half hours to read the book, but came away thinking that she did a good job. She was pretty blunt about her anorexic behaviour, and how close it almost came to destroying her and her career. Worthy of a 4/5.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog