Saturday, August 14, 2010

Welcome


Welcome (2009)

I don't spend my entertainment dollars on much these days, movies are about it and as television sucks, and eating out at most restaurants is too expensive, I don't have sky and borrow my books from the library, I feel it is my often my only treat for a night out.

A misty day meant washing and chores this morning before meeting a bestie in town. I like to browse the bookshelves, so I know what to request next to read, however even after a two week break from looking, there was nothing new to entice me. So it was off to Sweet Mamas Kitchen for curly fries, and extra spicy chicken bits. Oh and a lemonade - twas in a tiny bottle and a hefty price, but is my only drink of the week - I enjoyed it.

Welcome is a movie about a teenage boy from Iraq, who travels across Europe hoping to get to London to see his girl. We meet him in Calais where, stuck with other refugees it looks desperate and hopeless. Then he meets Simon, a swimming instructor as the local pool, and both begin to form a friendship, learning and helping each other out.

It was a good look at the treatment of refugees, especially in the French system which seems particularly authoritive. My mind kept thinking of how easily this same story could have been translated into the second world war time frame, and would I have thought differently about a Jewish protaginist trying any way possible to reach his love.

A good solid movie, worthy of a 4/5 as I am sure I will remember it for some time.

Another 4/5 is the icecream from Cafe Eis in town - oh my gosh. Even though the bloke got my order wrong, and they had none of my fave (mint choc chip), the one I did get was great!! Lemonade, movies and ice-cream and home by 10pm - it's a good night out in my book.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Ha snap!
Nothing on TV - we are renting out dvd's once a week - Monday it is 5 for $5.00 - finally watching tv series folks talk about.

I love book shops & would spend an awful lot of $$ if spare. But the library reserves for me & also is brilliant in buying in requests.

We don't get to the movies much now it has closed down here.

Love Leanne