Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Postmistress


The Postmistress - Sarah Blake (2010)

After my experience with Wolf Hall , I was a bit hesitant starting my next book. The cover and the premise looked interesting, and the beginning was solid enough.

Entwining the stories of Iris, the local Postmistress, Emma the young new doctors wife, and Frankie Bard an American radio reporter in London who all find that their lives changing during the second world war.

About the middle, it seemed to lose it's momentum and I was a bit confused about why Frankie ends up traveling to Berlin, and how Emma seems to just wander around and worry about her husband.

Tying everything together at the end, on reflection the novel was OK, but seemed to not really live up to it's promises and I never really felt connected to any of the characters.

3/5

No comments: