Sunday, June 13, 2010

Amelia


Amelia - DVD (2009)

I had hesitated seeing this one at the movies, only because at the time it played here we had the sunniest days of our summer, and sitting inside seemed like a waste of sunshine. Now that the winter has truly arrived it is the perfect opportunity to catch up.

I have a distinct memory of learning about Amelia Earhart when we were at primary school at about seven, in one of those shoolastic books that talked about all kinds of bits and pieces. So I was looking forward to the movie.

It was beautiful and an interesting story, but I was distracted by Hilary Swank. So much effort seemed to have gone into her portrayal of the walk, talk and hairstyle that magic was lost. There was no spark, no emotion - she just seemed a bit wooden to me. It felt still when Richard Gere reached for her hand and Ewan McGregor went for a smackeroo. Such a shame.

So tis only a lowly 2/5 for this flight of fancy.

No comments: