Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Road


The Road (2009)

Well in order to make my day happier, I got some loads of washing out in the sun and wind which is a good start. I traipsed into town, did a bit of browsing in the shops and bought a top on sale. Then a big fruit Tropical smoothie from the juice bar (my fave tipple), and then went to see The Road.

Not the cheeriest of movies, and in fact there was only me and one fellow in the whole cinema, but it was 4.10pm on a Friday. I'd tried to invite friends, but they all declined to see this movie, so I knew I would have to face it alone.

If you have read the book you know the story. Basically the world has surcumbed to some large disaster, and a man and his son are trying to follow the road to the south.

The book, well was disturbing and left me a bit shaken after I read it. It is really one of those, what would I do if I was in that position stories. Not everyones cup of tea for sure, but it is nice to be emotionally challenged when reading and at the cinema, and is a change from some of the silly 12 year old boy written stories that seem to plague our big screens.

So the movie, well I thought they did a great job of capturing the abandoned world and it's greyness and despair without a huge dialogue. You get to see Viggos butt a couple of times, but seen he looks like a homeless dude and you know how he must smell in those clothes, it is not really a thing of beauty. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't play it for family night. 4/5

So the other things I did to make me happy, was I bought a big 16 pack of toilet paper, as I have an unnatural fear of big disasters occuring , running out and having to use leaves or books to tidy up down there. I bought tons of snacks and fruit for the weekend of working. When I changed the linen on the bed, I put the ipod on real loud and danced around the bedroom to Simple Minds and then Eddie Vedder. I then lit the candles and had a nice dinner, and now as it is late, I am off to bed with my new book.

I guess it is all about finding joy in the small things, taking moments to appreciate each day and the pleasure of being able to afford and enjoy the choices we have.

Have a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

Camp Stanhope Happenings said...

Viggos butt, huh?? It's probably why the movie got 4/5 even though it's a little disturbing!!

Annie Bear said...

I think it's great that you did all these joyful things. This is a definite inpiration for me to get out more and enjoy things more.

I definitely agree about silly 12- year-old boy written movies! I probably won't see this movie, but I saw Whip It thanks to your blog. I wouldn't have know about it otherwise and I really enjoyed it. That was another movie not written by a 12-year-old boy.