Monday, May 31, 2010

Oliver Twist - DVD


Oliver Twist - DVD (2005)

It wasn't til I started watching, that I realized I was getting Oliver Twist and Great Expectations muddled up, and that in fact I knew very little of the story. Alas, Dickens was not taught to us in school, and short of bad productions of A Christmas Carol, and several attempts at reading the novels, my experience of the great English novels is somewhat limited.

I loved the sumptuous griminess of this Victorian tale. An orphaned boy who is honest and kind and in the end is rewarded with love and a good life, after several mean and horrid adults treat him poorly. It is the kind of thing I would like to show to many of the spoilt and rude 10 year olds around the place, but know that it would be wasted on them, and they would not see how lucky they are.

All I can say is that I am glad to have lived in London in 1995, and not in 1850ish, in they type of accommodation on show. Roman Polanski, you did a good job - I truly believed in your muddy streets, run down hovels, rich mans house and twisted corridors and I shall reward you with a 4/5.

No comments: