Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Source


I got asked where I get all my books from. Well I have to say that mostly the fabulous Wellington Library is my supplier. I have bought only about 4 books this year, 2 from Trademe and 2 from the bookshop. I just find that I don't reread books and my bookshelves are jammed full already. I can't resist Jodi Picoult, Lee Child and the Twilight books.

I do have a plan though. Usually once a month or so, when I am in town. I visit Borders with a piece of paper and pen, and when I find books that I might like to read, I write down the title and author and reserve them at the library. A few years ago a paperback was $20, but now the new releases are released large size and priced between $25-40 which is getting a bit crazy.

I am finding a similar problem with going to the movies at the moment. $17 is getting a bit pricey, especially with 2-4 friends going, we could actually buy a couple of dvds for that price. Also, as the weather has been so nice, I have felt guilty spending a few hours in the cinema when the sun is shining and warm outside. But soon that will all change, with winter chills on their way.

Of course if I won the Lotto, I would buy a large house and fill it to the brim with lovely bookshelves and spend the days lying in the sun on Caribbean beaches reading - Bliss!!

4 comments:

Claire said...

you mean Wellington in NZ? Ha, I live in Lower Hutt. TOTALLY didn't know you were even an NZer!

Leanne said...

I am known by name at the library. I love ordering in new books and being the first to read them, I still am a book snob. If I won lotto buying books would be high on my list too.

Love Leanne

Purrfect Haven said...

I loved your post, know just what you mean. I buy books from charity sales and pass on some of mine each time (I keep my favourites). Books are my friends. I don;t see enough films though. Still wanting to 'Butterfly and bell jar') - read the book in a single sitting waiting at the dentist (went in for appointment and came out to sit in the waiting room till I was done) Love Helen www.happinesskindled.blogspot.com

Annie Bear said...

I do the exact same thing but I usually find books on blogs or Amazon. I have an ongoing list and put at least one book each week on hold with my library. I love buying books but only do it very rarely now. I weaned myself off that habit. I love the library!