Monday, May 10, 2010

Food, Inc - DVD


Food, Inc - DVD (2008)

I tried to entice all of my friends to come and see this one with me, but not being particular fans of the doco genre, it was always going to be a hard sell. I really did try to get to see this at the movies, but I was glad to have watched it on DVD on my couch.

It didn't put me off my dinner, mainly because I was eating a fresh kebab packed full of salad. I was a bit grossed out by the issues surrounding the mega production of meat. The chicken plants where chickens live their whole lives never touching the ground or seeing any sunlight. The cows who are raised not on grass, but in feeding lots , hobbling around in mud and poop. Shocking and somehow so immoral and wrong. I guess they got it right when they say that we have this image in our head of Farmer Brown on the farm in the green grass producing our food, when it is not even being close to the truth about food production.

Most New Zealanders are a bit shocked by folks that eat takeaways all the time and never cook fresh veg or eat fresh fruit. I think most of us here, eat our food made from scratch, with the old meat and fresh veg. Most of my friends grow their own vegetables, and try to buy ethically raised pork (free range and not crate) and chickens (free range also). However, that may be a luxury because we can afford it, but we also choose to vote with our wallets.

If you want to know more about where your food comes from, it is certainly an educational doco to watch. Maybe just do it a while after dinner. 3/5

2 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

Quite actually, while I haven't seen the same thing as you have, nonetheless I have become distressingly aware of how animals are maltreated when they re kept for their meat.

It is distressing and sickening and as a consequence i rarely eat meat any more. I would sooner eat tje Admiral. I am using her account as it is easier than coming from my blog. herrs is easier.

Thank you for a good blog here. I hope it raises awareness.

Carole

Admiral Hestorb said...

sorry for the typos.