Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Blackout - Connie Willis


Blackout - Connie Willis (2010)

Connie Willis is the author of Doomsday book, where a time traveller accidentally ends up in the middle of the plague in rural England. Like that book, this one also takes a group of time travellers, who are historians in 2060, who all return to various time periods in Britain in the second world war. Sent to observe and find out about the Blitz, refugees and heroes at Dunkirk, each inadvertently finds themselves at so called 'divergence points' where there presence may ultimately affect the outcome of the war.

Like the Doomsday book, I was annoyed by the long introductory chapters about the time travel centre/university that seemed a bit of a ramble and too long. I wanted more action earlier on and by the time I got into the book, it was two thirds along, and I could see that it was bound to continue into another book.

2/5, but I will still await the next book to see how it ends. I'm a sucker like that.

No comments: