Sunday, February 07, 2010

Whip It


Whip It (2009)

Occasionally, for my viewing pleasure, I go to a real movie. Today I did, alone in the middle of the day, at the weekend. I usually reserve my alone trips for during the week, but I braved the sad lonely woman alone, coz I felt like it, and I was bored.

I had been meaning to see Whip It for while. Ellen Page, Drew Barrymore and Roller Derby sounded like a good combination, and I loved my roller skates. I spent years rolling around the neighbourhood in my short shorts, and jumping around at the roller discos. I knew that Drew Barrymore was directing, and I had heard some pretty scathing stuff, so I was prepared - I knew we were in B grade territory.

On the plus side, I liked it, I liked the whole roller derby Indie vibe. I enjoyed the whole girl story, with lots of punching and tripping up. At least the chicks didn't look like playboy bunny submissive schoolgirls that so many young girls seem to like at the minute, and the movie wasn't pumped up with American pretty models slash actors.

I was confused by the whole American pageant rubbish, that just seemed a bit cliched to me and although the parents were a bit stereotypical I liked that they had real jobs and lived in a real house. Although how a mom who is working as a postie can afford or justify $800 dresses all the time seemed a bit odd.

So, I may seem a bit biased as I'm going to give it a 3/5, and I might have to look for some roller skates on Trade Me.

No comments: