Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)

It is a rainy day in the city today, and we were intending to watch the dragon boat races, but they were cancelled. So it was off to the bagel shop, and then a movie. Apparently though, movies seem only to be scheduled at 10:30 am and then 3pm, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was the only one playing at 1.45pm.

My good friend Miss Pia, appear to be the only two people in the world that disliked the book. I couldn't get into it, I found the beginning very dull and so I didn't continue on after about 80 pages. The movie I am pleased to say was quite good. The story flowed and made sense.

I don't like to give the plot away, but basically a disgraced journalist is asked by an elderly businessman to investigate the disappearance of a favorite niece forty years ago. The extended family are not happy with the prying into their business as secrets from the past are rediscovered.

So it is definitely a thriller, and there are very graphic violent and sexual scenes, this one is not one for the kiddies. My friend who doesn't like scary films shrieked a little bit, and a couple of people left half way through, so you have been warned.

So the story has redeemed itself, and I may even consider reattempting the book at some stage. So for that, I have to give it a 4/5. Another plus was for seeing glimpses of the Swedish countryside. Miss Pia, I kept thinking of you while I watched.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

nope, don't like the books (the plot in parts yes, but the writing style not at all) but if i had to chose one of the three this one was the most enjoyable.

i might watch this movie when it gets on tv. the girl playing lisbeth has gotten great reviews and awards here in sweden, i wasn't a fan of her *skills* before this movie and i'm rather certain i won't be after possibly seeing it either.

but i'm glad you enjoyed the glimpses of sweden, julie!