Thursday, January 07, 2010

A Friend Like Henry - Nuala Gardner


A Friend Like Henry - Nuala Gardner (2007)

I'd picked this one up a couple of times at the library and touched it, opened its pages and read a bit before putting it down, until finally deciding it was time to read it, and I am glad I did. So, I am going to start by saying that I give it a 4/5.

Nuala and her husband find themselves the parents of Dale, who after a difficult birth becomes a toddler with learning and communication problems. It takes them years and the gaggle of 'professionals' who finally decide that Dale is autistic and are able to provide some limited help. He definitely struggles, and it is not until the introduction of puppy Henry into the family, that progress is made with Dales understanding, communication and behaviour, all of which improve with the patient help of his golden retriever.

A touching story which managed to give me plenty of smiles, and of course made me tearful it was a great story, and worth reading if you know any autistic children or families who are affected, if only to give you a glimpse into their world.

No comments: