Saturday, December 26, 2009

What the Dog Saw - Malcolm Gladwell


What the Dog Saw - Malcolm Gladwell (2009)

Malcolm Gladwell is one of those authors, of whom I have picked up or ordered his books from the library, and then failed to read any one of them. I often pick them up at the bookstore and browse, but always put them back down.

This time, I thought I would bite the bullet, and actually read one, and was surprised that I got this new book, only a week after reserving it. What the Dog Saw, is a collection of articles that have appeared in the New Yorker. Obviously a talented writer, with great research skills , he writes about a variety of topics, attempting to get within the subject and understand it, questioning and probing the subject.

So the most interesting chapter I found was on Mammography, and also talked about the paradox of Intelligence reform and long range bombing missions.

In the end though, I found myself skipping pages and just wanted the book to end, feeling a little like I was getting lectured by the know it all nerdy boy, like Sheldon on the big bang theory. Maybe he would be perfect to read this on a talking book series. I think my dad would enjoy this book more than me, which is a shame, as my inner nerd wanted to like it. 2/5

No comments: