Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Memory Garden - Rachel Hore


The Memory Garden - Rachel Hore (2007)
It's a Christmas miracle, I finally finished not one but two books. My error may have been in trying to read two at a time in a busy pre holiday week, but grey skies meant I didn't feel the need to rush outside or go for a walk, but to lie horizontal on my bed and read and snooze.
The Memory Garden is the second Rachel Hore book I have read, and her first book is sitting on my to be read pile. Although I was tempted to buy it, I always try and check with the library first, as I hate reading a bought book, disliking it and feeling guilty about spending or wasting the money.
In this book Mel, a university tutor takes a sabbatical to write a book about NewLyn Painters in Cornwall. She hires a garden cottage, taking a break to consider a broken relationship and the recent death of her family. While there she discovers paintings of a mysterious PT, and tries to discover who the talented artist may be.
I like Rache Hores style of writing, her believable characters and although you know where the plot is heading the journey is enjoyable. One part of the story is happening in the present, but the other plot line occurs around 1912 - 1920, and this helps to fill in the gaps. A pleasant Christmas read. 3/5

No comments: