Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Lovely Bones


The Lovely Bones (2009)

The sun was shining today, and although I felt guilty for watching a movie while the weather was nice, I thought I would nip in and see this one. Living in Wellington, I didn't go and see the stars at the premiere or rush out to see it in the first week, but waited til it was quiet.

I read the book ages ago, and although I remember the idea of the book being novel I was never particularly struck with it. I did enjoy Peter Jacksons adaptation of the story of Susie Salmon, who at 14 is raped and murdered by a neighbour. I have seen some interviews with Peter Jackson on tv, and agree with his position of not showing anything graphic, but still he is able to portray the fear and the horror of that girl without making it unpalatable.

Susies main story is of her family and friends, and of first and lost love. Her version of heaven looks like fun, although I thought it was a tad heavy on the computed generated side, I am glad you get to dress up funky and dance around.

All the actors were fabulous, although I was a bit distracted by Mark Walburg and Susan Sarandons hair, I am glad to see all of our old family furniture is being used by set designers around the world. They did forget the blue mountain pottery though, what a zing that blue stuff added to our brown and orange living room.

4/5 Mr Jackson, not only for being a kiwi bloke but for showing a little bit of restraint.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

This movie won't be coming to my town until next month. I nave mixed feelings about wanting to see it in the theater. Like you, I read the book years ago and so my memory of it is kind of fuzzy. I do remember really liking it though--I love Alice Sebold's writing.

I am glad you enjoyed the movie. That gives me hope that I might like it too.