Friday, December 11, 2009

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver


The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver (2009)

I had a sneaky suspicion when I got this book from the library, that I might not get around to reading it, a hunch, a feeling. I read a couple of quick reviews that talked about the book, how it would get to introduce Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo and Lev Trotsky.

I so wanted it to succeed, but I couldn't do it. I only made it to page 38, and I had to stop, it was making my brain hurt. Every paragraph felt like it was trying to cram too many words and images into it, I couldn't step into the pages and feel the story or hear the characters because of the frothy words.

So alas, back to the library it goes. Unloved, with barely a crease on it. So sorry big book, I so wanted to enjoy the story you held, but time is short, and I have another 6 books on my nightstand to read. You had your chance, and I am afraid you blew it. 0/5

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I read a blogger review of this one earlier in the week, and while the reader did finish the book, she didn't enjoy it at all. Sometimes it is better to move on. Hopefully the next book you pick up will be much better.

Pia K said...

i have the poisonwood bible in my to read pile. i do hope i will enjoy it when i get around to reading it. if not, at least i only paid a tenth of 1$ for it at the charity shop.

have you read that one by kingsolver?