Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Jane Austen Book Club - Dvd


The Jane Austen Book Club - DVD (2007)

I started watching this one on Friday night, but the hospital cellphone called me into work half way through, so I only got to finish it this evening. I remember being underwhelmed by the book, a promising plot and original idea, that somehow fell a bit flat. Therefore, I didn't rush to the cinema, but chose to wait til the dvd came out.

Basically a group of friends, decide to form a book club, and each month get together to talk about one of Jane Austens books. Like the stories, their lives are complicated, and through the meetings we get to hear about their relationships and they get to thinking about their own lives and how they relate to 200 year old stories.

I don't know quite what was missing in the movie, maybe the same thing the book was lacking. I think I missed any true emotion, sure there was crying and the end was sweet, but I didn't feel any true joy, any moment that I will remember from the movie next week, thus a 2/5.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

haven't read the book but i remember i was quite smittened by the movie when i saw it at the cinema, so was my mum. then i gave it a 4/5. i guess i was in the right mood and it made me think and feel. also i loved the music.