Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Jamie's Ministry of Food - dvd


Jamie's Minsitry of Food - DVD (2008)

I like Jamie Oliver, at least he is out trying to motivate people to cook, simple food, not crazy things with 50 ingredients and trying to outposh everyone with your tiny plates of lobster a la Top Chef.

In this DVD, he goes to one Northern English town to try and teach the town to cook. I couldn't believe how many people couldn't cook. Mothers who have kids who have never eaten a homemade meal and who let their families live on takeaways. It seems to be so common, and it shocks me how many blogging woman seem proud of the fact that they never cook.

I guess, I get takeaways maybe once a fortnight, but most nights I make some food from scratch, and most days get 5-7 servings of fruit and veg. I don't think cooking is hard, or it is as hard as you make it, and although my repertoire maybe small, it suits me fine. Most kiwi women would be the same with everyone cooking for themselves or their families.

You could sense Jamies frustration, at the lack of success of his programme, and I thought although his intentions were good, he had little support or backing. He should have gone to the schools first, and invited the parents there to participate. It did demonstrate though, how managing the basic skills gave so many people confidence to change their lives, just by showing them one or two recipes.

I'm going to give it a 3/5, and would much rather watch this than Gordon Ramseys Kitchen hell rubbish. I don't know why they keep making that stupid programme.

No comments: