Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Dream House - Rachel Hore


The Dream House - Rachel Hore (2006)

This is the first of Rachel Hores novels. It's a pretty simplistic plot, busy career mother of two, Kate lives in London with her husband and large mortgage. Decides to move to the country and find her 'dream house'. Meets by chance an elderly lady who lives in the house that she pines for, etc..etc..

You get the drift, stantdard sort of chick lit dreaming of a better life, husband doesn't understand me, cute younger guy who gets where she is coming from, we can see where this is going stuff. I am afraid I can only dredge up a 2/5 for this one, and enjoyed her last two novels much more than this.

So, that's pretty much it for 2009. It has been a busy year of reading and watching. I've spent more time at the library than the bookstores - when did new books become $50 all of a sudden? I enjoyed my holiday time off during the film festival, and might do it again next year, and am enjoying the movies that are out, and there are more to look forward to.

I even managed to get 3 comments on a couple of posts this year - woo hoo!!! I learnt to love Rescue Me on dvd, loved 500 Days of Summer at the Movies, am playing Paloma Faith on the stereo and ipod cause I love her so much, and am telling my friends to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

Happy New Year to you and yours, and hope you all have some relaxing time for yourself over the holidays.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

oh, my kind of cover, but well, the chic-lit story nah...

i always get pocket books myself these days as they are much easier to carry in handbag and read in bed. and of course cheaper, about 6 usd (when bought in the right place). then we have lots of cheaper bookstores and online shops where you can get lots of books for very reasonable prices. don't you have that in new zealand? i have to scribble in my books while i'm reading and make notes of all sorts of interesting (or annoying) things in them hence another reason for me buying books...;)

happy new reading year!