Monday, December 28, 2009

Day After Night - Anita Diamant


Day After Night - Anita Diamant (2009)

I have never read The Red Tent, Anita Diamants earlier bestseller, but had read a quick review of this book a couple of weeks before Christmas. Receiving it from the library reserve pile, there is something precious about being the first customer to read it. Almost, I think better than reading a book you have bought, I think because it never feels a waste of money when it is free.

So after the liberation of Europe in 1945, displaced Jewish survivors find themselves in a British internment camp in Alit in Israel. Four women of differing backgrounds find themselves friends and each tells their story of the war and how they try to escape from the barbed wire.

I liked the premise of finding out about the women's past and their futures, and even though the author tried to make each story individual, this I felt then made them into more of a cliche. I also found myself getting a bit muddled between all the characters, as it was a shortish book, there was little time for getting to know each of the girls.

It was however an interesting period in history, that I know little about and I enjoyed this introduction to this period of modern Israeli development. 3/5

No comments: