Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Brightest Star in the Sky - Marian Keyes


The Brightest Star in the Sky - Marian Keyes (2009)

I felt like reading something light, and even though this was a doorstopper of a book, I had high hopes. I only managed to get 197 pages in, before I had to give up, and relegated it to the return to library pile. How disapointing, sad, depressing and wasteful it felt. I just couldn't feel for any of the many characters that she was writing about, I had trouble telling them apart and I didn't care what happened to them. It just felt sloppy and lazy to me, like she didn't invest any time in creating emotions for the, just time on the colour of their hair, or their style of clothes.

So, Marian Keyes, you score a sorry 0/5 from me. Which makes me sad.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

i've read my fair share of ms keynes books, but i stopped some years ago (although i have a couple bargains frm the charity shop i still might read one day) because i can't stand her style of writing anymore. just too much same ol' superficial story that tries to be funny but just annoys me...