Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Angels and Demons - dvd


Angels and Demons - dvd (2009)

This one I thought was always going to be a hard sell. Wrapped up in the Vatican, popes and Catholics, is hardly what you would use to make a sexy thriller movie, although Ewan McGregor is rather tasty, even with his hair dye. I think I'm a bit obsessed, but why does every actor over 40 look like their hair colour was done with a bottle of Clairol over the kitchen sink?

Another thing that put me off, was Tom Hanks, who although likable always in this movie seems to have a bit of a smirk, like he looks a bit peeved to be there. I'd be a bit miffed too, what with all that running and getting shot at and stuff.

I guess the attraction of Dan Browns novels are that, in the process of an often simplistic thriller plot, he manages to intersperse the action with quite a bit of informative stuff about religion, history and symbolism, that makes the book interesting. So, it was always going to be hard to translate this to a 2 hour movie, so alas it only makes it a 2.5/5 from me.

1 comment:

Pia K said...

well, i have to say i really hate dan brown's books, the plots could be interesting but they're just so crap written i can't stand them. imho and all that...:) i felt the same way about the first movie adaption too. when this comes on tv i might watch it. possibly.