Friday, November 06, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - Dvd


The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - dvd (2008)

Well I feel a bit conflicted about this one. I read the book ages ago, but the story is one that is hard to forget. Bruno is a naive 8 year old, who with his family has to move from Berlin to the country, due to his fathers new job. leaving friends and family behind. As the second world war rages, Bruno continues to do things that young boys do, play, explore and read adventure books.

Sighting what he thinks is a farm through his bedroom window, he sneaks out of the house to explore and there he meets Shmeul, a boy his own age. The boys manage to meet up several times and manage to form a friendship, trying to find time to play and laugh.

I don't like to give away what happens, but find myself thinking of the book which surprises you with it's ending more than the movie. The movie felt a bit forced, I think it captured the youthful naivete of Bruno, but because the form is much more visual than the book, you could see where it was headed very early on. It was a bit disconcerting to have all the actors perform in their proper British accents, they all put in a solid performance. My other criticism would be that I am not sure whether this movie was made for an adult, or youth audience, maybe a family audience without it really being a family film.

3/5

No comments: